Categories

Day#4: I'm pleased to meet you in the mountain

And the next cultural shock just come up this morning. The students making carnival today in the streets of the city and getting drunk already during day time. Do I go inside the party crowd, do I want to work inside these context? To communicate with drunken Finish strangers are not what I personally understand with deep encounter. With a heavy heart I decide that I will do a performance for the most beautiful place in Pori, according to the two English speaking woman from yesterday morning.


I pick up my megaphone from the gallery and take a bus to Yyteri. The bus-trip takes 40 minutes and I exit in front of a hotel. I can not see the sea in this moment, but after a five minutes march through a small forest I enter one the most beautiful beach I ever saw. No one is there, just me and the sea. I sit down and sense the view of the sea. The sky and the ocean are one. I can not see a horizon because of the fog. I start singing for the ocean through my megaphone: “ I had a dream, a song to sing. To help me cope with anything.” I repeat this two lines again and again, for the next 1,5 hour, while I am getting steady louder and louder. I take two shopping bags full of sand with me back to town, after I finished the singing part. I put the sand, shaped as a small mountain, in the bottom drawer which stands open of an old desk inside the gallery. On the table top rests the unfolded city map from Pori.

While I was searching for a possible way to do a performance inside a public space, but not together with the drunken students, I thought that this day will not bring anything fruitful for my research, but at the end it appeared that this day was a very good lecture in becoming more flexible to the obstacles on my way. Was this action really needed for the research? I needed this action as a point – as an end and starting point. I think I can deal with obstacles more relaxed after this project.